Learn More about the Wiley Band
Welcome to the online home of the Wiley Band! This page is designed to provide helpful information for students, parents, and community members interested in the Wiley Elementary Band in Raleigh, NC. For further information about the Wiley Band, please check out the Wiley Band Handbook or email our band director, Christina Thompson.
Why are we here?
Quality music education is a valuable experience for young people. Learning to play a band instrument helps kids learn the value of effort and perseverance, make new friends, and develop an understanding of their unique strengths and capabilities. The Wiley Band is designed to empower Wiley's 3rd-5th graders to build their musical skills and develop talents they can be proud of.
Benefits of Band at Wiley
- Band helps students develop self-discipline, independence, and teamwork in a fun, upbeat atmosphere.
- In the Wiley Band, our learning is experiential. We don't watch movies or do worksheets to learn about music--we MAKE music!
- Our program supports Wiley's international focus; students will experience the music of cultures they study in the regular classroom.
- Playing music helps expand students' sense of possibility. As students practice and improve their musical skills, they begin to realize the great things they're capable of achieving.
- Learning music connects and expands upon topics from students' other classes. Reading, writing, math, and social studies take on a whole new meaning in band!
Instruments in the Wiley Band
How does the Wiley Band work?
The Wiley Band is an extracurricular program supported by the Wiley PTA. Our band meets before school from September-April for rehearsals, and holds several public performances each year. Because the band receives no funding from the school system, each band family is asked to makes a donation (we suggest $150 per semester) to cover the cost of the band director, sheet music, and supplies.
Who can join the Wiley Band?
Any third, fourth, or fifth grader attending Wiley Elementary School is eligible to join the Wiley Band. Beginning Band is reserved for 3rd-5th graders who have never played a band instrument before, while Continuing Band is designed for students who have had one or more years of band instruction.
When do we rehearse?
The Wiley Beginning Band rehearses on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8-8:45am, and Continuing Band rehearses on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8-8:45am.
Does Band require a practice commitment at home?
YES! To truly understand the musical concepts and techniques presented in band, children must repeatedly experience how it feels to execute them on their own. This experiential learning is accomplished via individual practice at home. We ask that all Wiley Band students practice a minimum of 15 minutes per day, 5 days per week.
How do I join Band?
Band registration takes place every April, and detailed information will be sent home in students' Monday folders. Registration forms will also be available here during the regular registration period. If you have any questions about joining band, please e-mail our director.